Managing Customer Service
In the Managing Customer Service course you will gain practical ideas and theoretical grounding in customer service. This online course, will show you the different aspects of customer service, examine customer expectations, and explore how you can improve the customer journey in your organisation or department. This course is ideal if you are in a management position in a Language Teaching Organisation.
Choose your dates and apply for this Managing Customer Service course now! >>
Who is it for?
This course is for you if:
- You are a new manager, or a manager with some experience, who wishes to understand and improve customer service in your organisation or department;
- You want a course that gives you a range of practical ideas as well as a theoretical grounding in the topic;
- You want to discuss issues and solutions with other managers and with a course tutor, networking within a global community.
- You are currently in a customer service role and would like to improve your skills.
The course requires a minimum English language level of C1. The course can be taken by managers working in a language school context in any department e.g. DOS, Marketing Manager, Head of Reception or School Director.
This is a 6-module course, delivered asynchronously entirely online via our VLE (Virtual Learning Environment) site.
During the course you will:
- Examine customer expectations, including ways you can discover and manage these.
- Explore all aspects of the customer journey and consider how this can be improved in your organisation.
- Discover how customer insight tools can help you to gain the trust of potential customers.
- Evaluate how you can incorporate quality standards in all aspects of your organisation, including for internal customers (your staff!).
- Look at what can lead to failure in quality standards, and how you can rectify this.
- Learn practical empathetic approaches to interactions with difficult customers.
The course is an asynchronous online course. It is designed this way so that you can access the material whenever it suits you. You don't have to log on at a certain time which means that wherever you are in the world the time difference is never an issue.
A new module is covered each week and the material for that module is provided over the course of the week. You are given tasks to do both in groups and individually. The discussion forums are a great opportunity to share ideas and learn from your peers on the course. It is advisable to log on regularly so that you keep up to date with the ongoing discussions. The tutor also logs on frequently, to monitor the discussions and give you guidance and support.
Read our IH OTTI FAQs >>
Your tutor marks your tasks as the course progresses and there is the opportunity to resubmit if necessary. Participants are expected to submit a minimum of 70% of the tasks. At the end of the course there is a final assignment which pushes you to reflect on what you have learnt during the course. The assignment along with your tasks makes up the portfolio that is submitted electronically to the IHWO Assessment Unit. Your tutor is on hand for support throughout. The final grade is a pass or fail. Portfolios are submitted two weeks after course completion.
You can find out about the certificate you will receive here.
The course is delivered by an expert tutor and the number of participants ranges from 8 to 12. Our tutors are all experienced managers with many years of experience working in language schools as well as online training experience.
It depends on the individual, but we recommend a minimum of 7 to 10 hours per week spent online and doing tasks. Your study hours are flexible, but some tasks require group input and have set deadlines. The more time you can devote to the course, the more you will gain from it.
What is special about this course?
What participants really value in this course is the online community, the opportunity to share best practices and discuss experiences they have had with peers from all over the world. Plus the expert input from their knowledgeable tutor.
Why is customer service so important and why should we care? Read what Senior Teacher Matthew Harlett Alumni on the Customer Service Course had to say: https://ihworld.com/news-blog/ih-blog/why-is-customer-service-so-important-for-organisations-why-should-we-care/
Is there a reading list for the module?
The course reading is provided during the module, with additional resources provided by the tutor as required.
Course dates & fees
- 4th November - 16th December 2023 (plus 2 weeks for assessment portfolio) £385 ( IH staff £327)
*The course fees stated are exclusive of 20% VAT. VAT will be added to the fee if it is paid by a business or individual located in the UK.
Course fees must be paid in full prior to the start date.
How do you apply?
- Choose your dates and fill in the online application form, which is sent directly to us. You will have to answer some basic questions about your qualifications and experience, but there is no need to submit any documents or proof of language level.
- We will review your application and get in touch if we have any queries.
- Once your application is approved, we will send you a payment link to pay for the course via debit/credit card.
- Once the payment fee is paid (by you or your employer) we will confirm your place on the course.
- A few weeks before the start date we will send your login details, and you can access the platform / VLE to familiarise yourself with how it works before the course starts. We will also send you any pre-module reading materials.
There is no deadline for applying, but once we have 12 people confirmed on a course, then it is full – so it is better to send your application form in as soon as you’re interested, to secure a place on the course!
We create each new course specially for the participants, and so we need to close applications on the Wednesday before the course begins to give us time for this.