IH Certificate in Advanced Methodology
The IH Certificate in Advanced Methodology (IH CAM) aims to increase teachers' theoretical knowledge of teaching and improve practical teaching ability and self-analytical skills. It is a methodology-based course and it will give you a greater insight into English language teaching.
This course will help you reflect on your own teaching because it is an input-based course which also encourages you to link what you have learnt in input to your classes. You will also deepen your understanding of elements of the CELTA course (or equivalent) and gain a greater insight into the principles of English language teaching. If the optional pre-Diploma sessions are followed, it will also raise your awareness of what you can expect from a Diploma level course and help prepare you for it.
In this video, tutor Xana de Nagy, goes into more detail about why this course is worth taking and what you can expect to get out of it.
Who is it for?
- Qualified teachers with at least one year’s full-time experience (600 teaching hours)
- Experienced teachers wanting to expand their theoretical knowledge and skill base
- Teachers aiming for a Diploma level qualification such as the Cambridge DELTA
There are 15 sessions. Sessions cover theories of language learning, language learners, skills and systems.
1. Course Intro and Overview
2. Lesson Frameworks
3. Receptive Skills
4. Productive Skills
8. Error and Error Correction
9. An Introduction to Discourse Analysis
11. Speaking and Spoken Interaction
13. Theories of Learning and Teaching
15. Recent Approaches
Structure and assessment
There are fifteen weeks of tutor-led input on this course. After this you will have two weeks to complete and submit your portfolio of work ready for assessment. Participants are assessed on a portfolio comprising of homework tasks and a final assignment, all of which is moderated by the IH Assessment Unit. They are also expected to follow and contribute to the CAM course programme. The grading of the course is Pass or Fail.
The IH CAM course is moderated by Cambridge Assessment English and therefore successful course participants will receive a certificate that includes the Cambridge Assessment English logo.
You can find out about the certificate you will receive here.
What is the key element a student will take away from the IH CAM?
A deeper understanding and knowledge of the principles of English language teaching and your own teaching; through learning and reflection. Sometimes in the initial teacher training courses, people focus very much on the practical aspect and this course gives you the chance for reflection and much greater insight.
Is there a reading list in preparation for the course?
We provide a course booklet which participants are encouraged to read before the start of the course. It gives a breakdown of all the modules and provides some ideas for additional reading that you can do either during or after the course.
Read our IH OTTI FAQs >>
The course lasts 15 weeks, with participants spending a minimum of seven hours per week online and doing tasks.
There are at least two tutors per course but this may vary depending on the number of participants. The number of participants can range from 12 to 16. The minimum is 8. The Certificate in Advanced Methodology (IH CAM) course is run online and taught by qualified tutors who have their DELTA or MA and an online teaching qualification.
- 4th February 2023 - 20th May 2023 (plus two weeks for the final assignment and to prepare your assessed portfolio)
- 13th May 2023 - 26th August 2023 (plus two weeks for the final assignment and to prepare your assessed portfolio)
- 14th October 2023 - 3rd February 2024 (plus two weeks for the final assignment and to prepare your assessed portfolio)
How to apply
- Choose your dates and fill in the online application, which is sent directly to us. You will have to answer some basic questions about your qualifications and experience, but there is no need to submit any documents or proof of language level.
- We will review your application and get in touch if we have any queries.
- Once your application is approved, we will send you a payment link to pay for the course via debit/credit card.
- Once the payment fee is paid (by your or your employer) we will confirm your place on the course.
- A few weeks before the start date we will send your login details, and you can access the platform / VLE to familiarise yourself with how it works before the course starts. We will also send you any pre-module reading materials.
There is no deadline for applying, but once we have 12 people confirmed on a course, then it is full – so it is better to send your application form in as soon as you’re interested, to secure a place on the course!
We create each new course specially for the participants, and so we need to close applications on the Wednesday before the course begins to give us time for this.
IH Staff rate available.
*The course fees stated are exclusive of 20% VAT. VAT will be added to the fee if it is paid by a business or individual located in the UK.
Course fees must be paid in full prior to the start date.