IH Teaching One-to-One
IH Teaching One-to-One
The newly updated IH Teaching One-to-One course covers online as well as face-to-face teaching for classes with individual students. With the increased acceptance of online learning, teaching one-to-one has never been more in demand. It is a desirable option for many students as they don’t need to travel to the classes, have focused teacher attention, and can have more options for the times of their study.
Teaching individual students is not simply a case of teaching the same lesson to one person instead of a group and our new Teaching One-to-One course will develop your current teaching skills to overcome these specific challenges and maintain students' motivation, use a variety of platforms, utilize materials and ensure learners have a sense of progress.
Without specific training, it is all too easy when teaching individuals to veer into the area of conversation classes. The Teaching One-to-One course gives concrete methods so that you can help learners improve their overall skills or achieve a specific goal. This requires a well-thought-out plan that caters to their individual needs as well as areas of learning they may not have considered.
The dynamics of a one-to-one class are very different from group classes, and one-to-one learners require more input from the teacher in terms of materials, since there isn’t a course book that fits this area. The IH Teaching One-to-One course covers this as well as giving you greater insight into teaching individuals.
For teachers, investing in this Teaching One-to-One course could be your passport to independent or freelance work which is now more highly in demand than ever before. Offering one-to-one courses at your school is a rewarding and cost-effective option in that it reduces overheads and can increase your market offering. Having qualified one-to-one teachers on your staff will boost sales in this area.
Who is the Teaching One-to-One course for?
This course is useful for:
- teachers with experience in one-to-one as well as newcomers to this field who have an interest in pursuing this area of teaching.
- teachers who have no experience yet, but would like to equip themselves with the right skills
- Candidates who have a C1 English or higher and can dedicate 5 hours each week to studying
As with most courses, it is helpful if you are teaching in the context at the time of study, but it is not absolutely necessary to have a current one-to-one student.
What is the structure of the Teaching One-to-One course?
This is a blended course with live and asynchronous components. Each week starts with a synchronous session lasting 90 minutes which is recorded for anybody who can’t attend. The rest of the weekly material is online and accessed as asynchronous self-study tasks within the week. The tutor will provide input and feedback, and course participants use the discussion forums to comment and compare the topic material with each other.
Live sessions are preliminarily scheduled for Mondays at 1 pm UK time, but each course will be agreed upon between each tutor and course participants.
What is the content of the Teaching One-to-One course?
The modules of the course cover the following areas:
- GTKY activities for one-to-one classes
- Understanding student motivation and needs
- Face-to-face and online classes
- Differences between group and one-to-one teaching
- Online platforms and tools
- Materials – adapting and creating
- Making a course, and planning the lessons
- Correction and feedback techniques
What is unique about the Teaching One-to-One course?
As well as learning about how to improve your one-to-one teaching during the live session and by using the self-study materials, you will be part of a global cohort who you can share ideas and collaborate with.
Read what course participants had to say about the IH Teaching One-to-One Course: https://ihworld.com/news-blog/ih-blog/why-do-teachers-recommend-the-ih-certificate-in-teaching-one-to-one-course/
What is the time commitment of the Teaching One-to-One course?
As well as the 90-minute live session each week, Course Participants are expected to commit 3-5 hours per week to the course online.
Is there a Reading list for the Teaching One-to-One course?
All of the materials required for the course are provided. There is a resource library with articles, materials, videos, lesson plan templates, webpages etc. for further exploration.
How is the Teaching One-to-One course assessed?
Each of the four modules has an integrated assessed task which is completed during the course and graded by your tutor. The final grade is pass/fail.
Will I get a certificate for the Teaching One-to-One course?
Yes – upon successful completion of the course and assessment criteria, you will receive a digital certificate. You can read more about it here
Who are the tutors on the Teaching One-to-One course
All of the OTTI tutors are experienced and knowledgeable in the area that they tutor as well as being certified as online tutors.
How to apply
- Choose your dates and fill in the online application, which is sent directly to us. You will have to answer some basic questions about your qualifications and experience, but there is no need to submit any documents or proof of language level.
- We will review your application and get in touch if we have any queries.
- Once your application is approved, we will send you a payment link to pay for the course via debit/credit card.
- Once the payment fee is paid (by you or your employer) we will confirm your place on the course.
- A few weeks before the start date we will send your login details, and you can access the platform / VLE to familiarise yourself with how it works before the course starts. We will also send you any pre-module reading materials.
There is no deadline for applying, but once we have 12 people confirmed on a course, then it is full – so it is better to send your application form in as soon as you’re interested, to secure a place on the course!
We create each new course specially for the participants, and so we need to close applications on the Wednesday before the course begins to give us time for this.
Course dates & fees:
- 24th February - 23rd March 2024 - £347 (£295 IH staff)
- 13th April - 11th May 2024 - £347 (£295 IH staff)
- 27th July - 24th August 2024 - £347 (£295 IH staff)
*Please note if you are in the UK you will have to pay 20% VAT on top of these prices.