IH Teacher Trainer Certificate
The aim of the IH TTC course is to give Course Participants (CPs) a basic grasp of the main issues and techniques involved in teacher training so they are better prepared to observe an initial teacher training course or assist in an in-service teacher development course. It will also help a more senior teacher develop in their in-house Teacher Development role.
Who is it for?
The International House Teacher Trainer Certificate (IH TTC) course is designed for experienced teachers who are interested in moving into the field of teacher training. It is not intended to replace the existing observation and training process that is in place for many courses but to provide some of the theoretical background and frameworks. Where possible, it is not course-specific but designed to enable trainers to work on any number of pre-service and in-service teacher training courses. In some cases, however, more reference will be made to the CELTA / IHCTL-type of course. Given the observation and feedback roles of many middle management teaching jobs, the course is also suitable for a teacher who is working in an in-house teacher development context. This course is suitable for an experienced teacher who wants to move into teacher training such as becoming a Cambridge CELTA tutor or equivalent pre-service qualification.
We expect you are:
- A DELTA-qualified teacher who is planning a move into teacher training.
- An experienced teacher without DELTA who wishes to run in-service courses in your own context.
- An Academic Manager who wishes to develop your in-house Teacher Development role.
This is a 12-module course, delivered asynchronously entirely online via our VLE (Virtual Learning Environment) site. Covering one module a week the course is 12 weeks long, followed by a two-week period for the final reflective task to be submitted. The course is made up of input, discussion and research-type tasks. The modules cover:
- Introduction to the course and teacher development
- The skills of a Teacher Trainer
- Understanding the Trainee
- Observation Process 1
- Observation Process 2
- Managing Feedback
- Supporting the Trainee / Teacher
- Developing Training Sessions
- An Introduction to Reflective Practice
- The Assessment Process
- Technology in the EFL Training world
- Reading and Research
Structure and assessment
The course is run entirely online by our qualified online tutors. and assessment is done by means of an electronic portfolio. Each module has a homework task that forms part of the portfolio, participants are expected to submit a minimum of 75% of the tasks to their portfolio and in addition there is a final reflective essay. The portfolio is moderated by the IH Assessment Unit who agrees on the final grades with the course tutors. Moderation takes approximately 28 days from the submission of the final portfolio. The grading of the course is Pass or Fail.
You can find out about the certificate you will receive here.
Read our IH OTTI FAQs >>
This course is designed to be completed on the basis of approximately 1-2 hours per day and it is expected that a candidate will spend 7 to 10 hours per week studying in total. However, you are under no obligation to visit the course as frequently as this and you may prefer to do more work at weekends rather than on a daily basis. However, please note, some of the tasks require group work and have deadlines.
15th October 2022 – 14th January 2023 (plus two weeks for the final assignment and to prepare your assessed portfolio)
11th February 2023 - 6th May 2023 (plus two weeks for the final assignment and to prepare your assessed portfolio)
How to apply
- Choose your dates and fill in online application, which is sent directly to us. You will have to answer some basic questions about your qualifications and experience, but there is no need to submit any documents or proof of language level.
- We will review your application and get in touch if we have any queries.
- Once your application is approved, we will send you a payment link to pay for the course via debit/credit card.
- Once the payment fee is paid (by your or your employer) we will confirm your place on the course.
- A few weeks before the start date we will send your login details, and you can access the platform / VLE to familiarise yourself with how it works before the course starts. We will also send you any pre-module reading materials.
There is no deadline for applying, but once we have 12 people confirmed on a course, then it is full – so it is better to send your application form in as soon as you’re interested, to secure a place on the course!
We create each new course specially for the participants, and so we need to close applications on the Wednesday before the course begins to give us time for this.
IH staff rate available.
*The course fees stated are exclusive of 20% VAT. VAT will be added to the fee if it is paid by a business or individual located in the UK.
Course fees must be paid in full prior to the start date.