How to Teach IELTS
These extremely practical four-week courses are designed to develop teachers’ knowledge and understanding of How to Teach IELTS. You learn how to help your students improve their English skills related to all four papers in the exam through a combination of materials, experimentation, and discussions.
Preparing learners for the IELTS exam can be daunting at first. These four courses help you improve your knowledge of the exam, and the skills that you need to not only feel confident in the classroom, but to ensure that your students get the best possible mark in the exam.
Each course has over 30 activities and techniques for you to experiment with in your own classroom. We have carefully selected video content for each course from a wide range of sources which show examples of candidates taking the exam, filmed teaching tips, interviews with students and teachers, and activities in practice.
Who is the How to Teach IELTS course for?
- Are you an experienced teacher who is new to teaching IELTS? YES
- Do you have B2+ level of English? YES
- Can you commit 5 hours per week to study online at times that suit you? YES
- If you’ve replied YES to these questions, then this is the course for you!
What is the structure of the How to Teach IELTS course?
All of our courses are 100% online and 100% asynchronous, and the How to Teach IELTS course is Self-Study with support from an online tutor. This means that there is no requirement for you to be online at specific times, you work through the materials when you want. However, you must complete all tasks within the set week, and work in lock-step with your tutor group. Each week has required discussion forum input, collaborative tasks, as well as compulsory and optional activities.
There are four courses (Speaking, Listening, Reading, Writing) which can be studied separately or as part of a complete course.
What is unique about the How to Teach IELTS course?
These courses are PRACTICAL and REFLECTIVE giving you the opportunity to experiment with techniques and then share your reflections with a group peers, which is invaluable in developing your own IELTS teaching skills.
They are INFORMATIVE and RESOURCEFUL with tips and study notes from a broad range of experienced IELTS teachers and examiners to give you a solid knowledge base - it is like having the experts right in your ear!
What are the contents of the How to Teach IELTS courses?
Each of the four courses follow the same format:
- An overview of the specific skill exam paper. Including the structure of the exam, different task types and the band descriptors.
- Difficulties faced by students and teachers in the particular skill exam. This includes common problems that students have, as well as specific issues faced by teachers for each skill. We provide various solutions for the different problem areas, with tried and tested suggestions for you to experiment with.
- Activities to help students develop this skill. Guidelines and reviews of activities by experienced teachers from a range of contexts.
- Different ways for students to prepare for the exam. This section has classroom activities to improve students’ exam-taking skills, focusing on the tasks in each paper.
- Ways of giving feedback to students. For students to maintain their motivation while studying for the IELTS exam the feedback they receive, and the way that it is delivered, is vitally important. We give you a range of techniques including tutorials, correction codes, peer feedback and using video to name but a few.
What is the time commitment of the How to Teach IELTS course?
Participants should expect to spend 5 hours per week accessing the materials and working through the tasks. There are opportunities to study further using the links included in the course.
How much does the How to Teach IELTS course cost?
We have a LAUNCH OFFER to all participants of £95* for one course, and £350* for a bundle of all 4 courses, when you register for all four at once. *plus VAT for UK
Is there a Reading list for the How to Teach IELTS course?
All of the material and resources required to participate are included in the course. There are suggestions for further reading, but these are not necessary to complete the course.
Will I get a certificate for the How to Teach IELTS course?
All participants who actively attend the course will receive a certificate.
Who are the online tutors on the How to teach IELTS course?
All of the OTTI tutors are qualified online teacher trainers. Tutors for these courses have extensive IELTS background and knowledge.
Do I need to be teaching an IELTS class at the time of the course?
You don’t need to be teaching an IELTS class at the time of the course. We recommend that you experiment with the activities and ideas both during and after the course.
- Speaking: 31st July – 28th Aug COURSE FULL!
- Listening: 4th Sept – 2nd Oct 2021
- Writing: 9th Oct – 6th Nov2021
- Reading: 13th Nov – 11th Dec 2021
- Speaking: 20th Nov – 18th Dec 2021
- Reading 15th Jan - 12th Feb 2022
One course = £95
Four Course Bundle = £350
Plus VAT for UK