Do you want to speak at IH Kyiv's annual gathering of like-minded ELT colleagues? Apply now.Read More
IH Bucharest: Teach Your Way to the Top
16 March 2023
18:00 to 20:00
Reaching the Peak of Your English Teaching Career with CELTA and DELTA
Cambridge University Press & Assessment and International House Bucharest have the pleasure of inviting current or aspiring teachers of English as a foreign language to attend this online event dedicated to discovering the benefits of holding a CELTA or DELTA qualification.
By attending this event, participants will learn about the benefits of pursuing CELTA and DELTA qualifications and how they can help them reach the peak of their English teaching careers. Participants will also have the opportunity to network with other professionals in the field and get their questions answered by experienced CELTA and DELTA tutors.
The event will take place on Zoom, on 16 March 2023, from 6 pm to 8 pm. Access is free of charge but limited. All participants will receive a certificate of attendance.
Register in advance for this event
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the event. Please save this email for easy access on the day of the event.
The programme includes:
6 pm – 6.40 pm: CELTA & DELTA presentation
Designed for language teachers who are looking to take their career to the next level and want to learn about the teaching qualifications offered by Cambridge University Press & Assessment, this session will provide an overview of the following qualifications:
- CELTA, a qualification that gives you the skills, knowledge, confidence and hands-on experience to start teaching. CELTA is the most widely recognised English teaching qualification in the world; three out of four English language teaching jobs require a CELTA qualification
- DELTA, an advanced blend of theory and practice that provides professional development for teachers with experience. It gives you skills and techniques that will help you throughout your career. DELTA is suitable for teaching any age group, from young learners to adults.
Speaker: Aniella Giorgiana BUȘILĂ, Educational Consultant - Cambridge University Press & Assessment
6.40 pm - 7 pm: Become your best teaching self with IH Bucharest!
As a leading language teaching institution accredited by EAQUALS and IHWO, International House Bucharest is committed to promoting teaching excellence. In this session, we will look at the various development opportunities offered by our Teacher Training Centre, which cover the whole gamut of teaching experience and teaching contexts.
Speaker: Teodora Manole – Head of Teacher Training at IH Bucharest, CELTA & IHCYLT trainer
7 pm – 7.45 pm Context vs Topic in Communicative Language Teaching
Ask any teacher and they will be able to tell you without fail what their last lesson was about. “I taught grammar.” “We talked about likes and dislikes.”
And although it is very likely their lessons were productive, engaging and fun, the way we think about what we teach is not always helpful in determining what the students actually learn. This is why identifying, setting and maintaining the context of our lessons is so important: because it’s context that helps with long-term retention and retrieval. In this session, we will:
- Determine the differences between context and topic
- Identify reasons why context is important in developing communication skills in a foreign language
- Analyse practice activities from common coursebooks to determine how effective they are in terms of having a clear communicative context
- Practise adapting coursebook tasks to make them more contextualised and communicative
Speaker: Iulia Lehner, CELTA, DELTA and CLIL trainer
7.45 pm - 8 pm: Q&A panel with our tutors
In this session, the spotlight is on YOU, the participant. Our tutors, Julie and Teo, will answer your questions about the Cambridge teaching qualifications offered by International House Bucharest to help you make the best decision for furthering your career.