LSI Portsmouth / IH Portsmouth was established in 1985 and is the no. 1 English language centre in the UK*, having achieved 100% in our last British Council inspection.
LSI / IH Portsmouth offers both face-to-face English language classes in Portsmouth and online English classes to suit all abilities and many different academic and professional needs. We are an adults-only Centre, accepting students 18 years old and over. We run courses in General English, IELTS, Cambridge and OET Exam Preparation, Professional and Business English and University Pre-Sessional Courses. We are a test centre for IELTS, OET and Cambridge. We run Teacher Training courses in CLIL and Methodology and are a CELTA training centre .
We have both a face-to-face and online social programmes and activities include: Yoga classes, art classes, dance classes, virtual safari, cake baking and lots more!
The school has 55 classrooms and a capacity of 300+ students. Students and staff alike comment on the uniquely welcoming environment that makes LSI / IH Portsmouth a wonderful place to study and work.
Our priority is always to take care of our students and staff, especially in the current times of Covid-19. While the impact of the virus means that coming to study in Portsmouth is not always possible, we are still here for you. Our classes are still running online, and we are keeping as much normality as we can. Our teachers and staff are here to support you as far as possible. From online classes, to activities to complete at home and technical advice, we are doing what we can to keep you on track on your course.
- Online Classes
- 40+ or 50+ Courses
- Internship Programmes
- Cambridge, IELTS or other Exam Preparation Courses
- CLIL Methodology Courses
- Social Programme
- Welfare Support
- For other services please see school website
- Student Residence
- Hotel or Apartment
Located in the centre of Portsmouth, the UK’s only island city, LSI students can choose to enjoy the delights of a vibrant university town, or take advantage of the coastal location and relax by the sea or in one of the city’s many parks. With its rich cultural and historical heritage, Portsmouth has something for everyone from the world famous Historic Dockyard to the designer outlet shops at Gunwharf Quays. Staff at LSI Portsmouth often take part in the social programme and are always keen to share their favourite local haunts with students. The school itself is located in the middle of the university district, providing students with plenty of opportunities to participate in local life at the university gym, library and social spaces.
We run the following Teacher Training courses:
* CLIL - one week intensive training courses, focussing on the theory and practical sides of CLIL; learn the language and content at the same time
* Methodology for Secondary School Teachers - Teaching the four language skills; Creative activities; Classroom management skills; Utilising drama, text, music and songs in the classroom; Teaching and developing thinking skills.
* University Lecturer and Staff Development - for lecturers who are already teaching in English or will be soon; We provide guidance on teaching techniques, specifically designed for university lecturers. For staff who need to interact with international colleagues, improve your language skills for more effective communication in an academic environment.
To contact IH Portsmouth please complete the form below: