International House was founded in 1953 in Cordoba Spain. Since then it has become an established and well respected name in the language teaching industry. IH now has 65 years’ experience in language school teaching and more than 55 years in teacher training. We have developed into a truly global network with around 160 affiliated private language schools in 52 countries. IH trains around 30% of CELTA graduates and currently employs over 5, 800 teachers worldwide.
Our schools teach English, Spanish, German, French, Arabic, Russian, Italian and more … in total over 30 languages.
IH prides itself on our commitment to quality and sets high standards for our schools in terms of teaching, facilities and student/teacher welfare. If you work for an IH school you can expect the following:
- To work alongside suitably qualified teachers
- Reasonable working hours & holidays.
- Reasonable working environment in which to teach and prepare.
- Sufficient materials provided by the school for teaching purposes.
- Maximum class sizes of 16 students.
- Support from senior teaching staff and academic managers.
- Professional development
- Access to standardised IH development courses moderated by an internal assessment unit, ensuring high standards of teaching and assessment.
- Discount for IH teaching staff on all IH online development courses.
Further Professional Development Courses
As you progress in your career there are a wide range of courses to enable you to develop specialisms or improve your professional standing. For example courses for Teaching Young Learners, in Advanced Methodology, or Online Tutoring. These can be studied at International House Schools, or online with the Online Teacher Training Institute. All IH online courses are taught by qualified online teacher trainers and often offer flexible study hours.
Why train with IH?
- The International House name is widely respected in the field of language teaching and those that have trained with IH are widely sought after by employers.
- All tutors on IH courses are qualified and experienced.
- International House was the first organisation to create a training course specifically for English as a Foreign Language teachers. The first International House Certificate in 1962 formed the basis for the current Cambridge ESOL CELTA qualification.