Requirements for Initial EFL Qualifications

To be considered for employment at an IH school as an EFL teacher, you must have a CELTA, Trinity TESOL, IHC or equivalent* qualification. For other languages, similar qualification requirements apply.

*Equivalent means that the qualification must have at least 110 hours of input, 6 hours of observed and assessed teaching practice, and is externally assessed by a reputable examination body. We also require that it has an entry requirement of IELTS 8/CEFR C1. Most online TEFL courses are not acceptable; some MA TESOL are acceptable.  

If you would like to study for a CELTA or Trinity TESOL, International House Teacher Training Centres are scattered across the globe. Use our directory to find the closest centre to you, or take the opportunity to study and travel by staying at a centre further afield.

Working with Children

International House is committed to looking after the wellbeing and safety of every young person in an IH school. By this we mean anybody under the age of 18.  We expect all teachers and staff to share this commitment.

To apply for a job with an IH school you will be required to confirm that you are of a suitable character to work with young people.

Depending on the legal requirements in the country in which you work, a police check of any criminal convictions may be required.