- Start Date: 16/09/2019
- Duration or End Date: 16/06/2020
Salary: Minimum starting salary 1050 EUR net per month + end-of-contract bonus of one month's net salary. Candidates with relevant teaching experience, particularly within the IH network, can expect a higher salary.
Essential role requirements
The role is open only to those with the right to work in the EU.
- You must have a CELTA, Trinity TESOL, or equivalent initial teaching qualification
We currently have vacancies for the following roles:
EFL TEACHER (YOUNG LEARNERS - ages 6-18)
EFL TEACHER (VERY YOUNG LEARNERS - ages 3-11)
As an EFL teacher, you will plan and deliver effective English lessons to a range of students both on the school premises and in local state schools. Average teaching hours per week are 24 hours and an additional three hours per week are dedicated to professional development and meetings.
Working with us provides the opportunity to:
* Gain experience with a variety of class types and sizes (depending on experience and
* Work in a friendly but professional environment where there is a variety of class types and
ages to help you broaden your experience.
* Learn from friendly, motivated peers (there is a full-time teaching staff of 21) including
an academic management team of 5 people, whose experience is
wide and varied.
* Develop through regular observations, appraisals, and professional development sessions. (On
our Facebook page you can find details of our most recent training sessions with leading names
in ELT such as Adrian Underhill and we were also delighted to be the hosts of the IH YL Conference March 2018)
* Become a Cambridge ESOL Speaking Examiner (dependent upon experience).
* Access a wealth of resources, including Interactive Whiteboards, designated YL rooms, Computer
rooms, data projectors, and an up-to-date and well-stocked library. Laptops and audio
equipment is also loaned to each teacher for the duration of the contract.
* Settle into the school and the city by attending a fully-paid induction period and free, weekly
Italian lessons (held on the school premises with a qualified teacher)
* Applicants wishing to take the IH Certificate in teaching Young Learners and Teenagers can do so with us before the contract starts, with the course costs covered by the school
As some of the teaching involves external (off-site) courses, this role does require a certain amount of flexibility and cultural sensitivity, so the ability to deal with changes and diversity in a positive manner is essential for this role. Where offsite courses are not within reasonable walking distance (10-15 mins) of the school, teachers are accompanied from, and back to, school by car. Travelling time is counted as working hours.
About the school and City
Founded in 1964, the British School of Reggio Calabria joined the IH network in 2015. As a member of AiSLi (a highly-regarded association of English Language Schools in Italy) and a Cambridge English Platinum centre, the school is committed to providing quality language courses and exam preparation.
The school has a learning-centred approach and also places great importance on the professional development of all its members of staff. We hold regular teacher-training events and each year we invite external trainers (e.g. Adrian Underhill, Jim Scrivener) to deliver workshops just for our teachers. The students range in age from pre-schoolers to adults and the Young Learner and subject teaching departments in particular have seen a steady increase over the past few years.
In addition to courses held on the school premises, courses are organised in local primary and secondary schools, as well as kindergartens. The school also runs regular teacher training workshops and seminars for teachers in public schools.
To find out what our teachers say about us, watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5mGXFT3v1Q
Take a look at the school page here.