- Start Date: 16th September 2019
- Duration or End Date: 19th June 2020, Contract renewable for following year(s)
Salary: Minimum starting salary 1200 EUR net per month + end-of-contract bonus of one month's net salary. Candidates with relevant experience, particularly within the IH network, can expect a higher salary.
Essential role requirements
The role is open only to those with the right to work in the EU.
- You must have a CELTA, Trinity TESOL, or equivalent initial teaching qualification
- You must have a DELTA, DipTESOL, or MA TESOL
A Senior Teacher is a person who has demonstrated superior teaching abilities and is willing and able to convey teaching ideas and practices to less-experienced colleagues. They should be exemplary in their attitude towards their work and be able to lead and inspire reflective thinking amongst colleagues. This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced teacher to take the first steps towards academic management and/or teacher training.
The role-holder will be required to work an average of 20 hours in class and a further 8 hours dedicated to Senior Teacher duties which include:
- Supporting less experienced colleagues with lesson planning.
- Placement testing.
- Conducting formal and informal observations and providing written and face-to-face feedback.
- Designing and delivering professional development sessions.
- The creation and preparation of teaching and assessment materials.
Watch this video to find out what our teachers say about working with us:
- Flights: Flights costs of up to 200 Euros reimbursed for flight back to country of origin at the end of the contract
- Accommodation: Accommodation found within walking distance of the school for 250-400 Euros p.c.m
- Holiday: 20 days holiday per annum, pro-rata
About the school and City
Founded in 1964, the British School of Reggio Calabria joined the prestigious IH network in 2015. As a member of AiSLi (a highly-regarded association of English Language Schools in Italy) and a Cambridge English Platinum centre, the school is committed to providing quality language courses and exam preparation.
The school has a student-centred approach and also places great importance on the professional development of all its members of staff. We hold regular teacher-training events and each year we invite external trainers (e.g. Adrian Underhill, Jim Scrivener) to deliver workshops just for our teachers. The students range in age from pre-schoolers to adults and the young learner and CLIL departments in particular have seen a steady increase over the past few years.
In addition to courses held on the school premises, courses are organised in local state schools. The school also runs regular teacher training workshops and seminars for teachers in public schools. Our teacher training centre is rapidly expanding and we recently became a CELTA centre, running our first course in July.
Working with us provides the opportunity to:
- Further your practical experience of teaching in a school with a wide variety of class types (from VYLs to Adults; beginner to proficiency; and exam preparation classes).
- Further your knowledge of language testing and assessment in one of the largest authorized Cambridge ESOL Centres in Southern Italy (awarded the prestigious "Platinum" status some years ago).
- Be trained to be a Cambridge ESOL Speaking Examiner (and, in the event of contract renewal for the following year, we will also provide the training to become an IELTS speaking examiner)
- Learn from your peers (there is a dedicated team of teacher support staff, whose expertise and experience is wide and varied)
- Give and receive constructive feedback from regular observations and appraisals.
- Take part in, and at times lead, regular in-house training and professional development sessions.
- Have the possibility of attending national ELT Conferences.
- Settle into the school and the city by attending a fully-paid induction course, with free Italian lessons.
- Access a wealth of resources (e.g. Interactive Whiteboards, computer rooms, Wi-Fi throughout, data projector, up-to-date and well-stocked library, TV, etc.).
Reggio is a warm, friendly, coastal city just in front of Sicily with a centre that is small enough so that everything is within easy walking distance. Depending on the season, there is plenty to do in Reggio and its surroundings: from walking along the beaches and sailing in the sea, to skiing in the nearby mountains and eating in a cosy agriturismo.
The city is also ideally situated for visiting other places in Italy with a small port (ferry to Sicily and the Aeolian Islands), a train station (including a fast-train to Rome), and an airport (flights to Rome, Verona and Milan). If youre looking for direct international flights, Catania or Lamezia (roughly 1½ hours away) have different direct connections.
Take a look at the school page here.