- Start Date: ASAP
- Duration: 10 months (with the possibility to renew for 2019-2020)
- Salary: 1,650–2,118 PLN per month depending on qualifications and experience, years at school, and timetable issues (as detailed in the contract). Other increments may be added, depending on timetable. Accommodation provided too.
Essential role requirements:
- You must have a CELTA, Trinity TESOL, or equivalent initial teaching qualification
- EU passport holders only can be considered for this post due to visa restrictions.
- Full mastery of English across all 4 skills to CEFR C2/IELTS band 8 required, evidenced by a high standard of written and spoken English throughout the application process if you do not have English proficiency certificates. This applies to both native and non-native applicants.
Teacher development programme
- 2-day mid-year induction, starting the first working day after your arrival
- Weekly workshops
- Collaborative planning meetings (level meetings)
- Regular developmental observations, including 10-20 minute drop-ins, and 45-minute formal observations
- Opportunities to arrange peer and video observations
- Free attendance at the IH Bydgoszcz and Torun Teacher Training Days in November and April.
- Returning teachers can complete the 2-week intensive IH Certificate in Teaching Younger Learners and Teenagers at the start of their second year. The course is free; teachers just cover the cost of the certificate.
- Other professional development activities can be added depending on the requests of the teaching team.
- Weekly Polish lessons provided.
The staffroom is very supportive, and senior staff are available to help with anything you need when planning.
What your teaching timetable will look like
- 19-20 clock hours a week
- Mix of classes, including teens and adults, maybe some young learners
- Some business or company clients
- Occasional cover classes if other teachers are sick
- Most classes Monday to Thursday, with one or two classes on a Friday. No Saturday teaching.
Support is provided with all teaching, so don't worry if it's a level or age you have no experience of!
Other timetable info
- 30-minute weekly administrative meeting for all teachers, plus professional development sessions, on Fridays.
- Up to three Friday evenings and three Saturday mornings per year for our student social programme as part of your contract.
Other administration requirements
- Keeping online registers up-to-date
- Setting and marking homework for every lesson
- Setting and marking continual assessments in all skill and language areas
- Writing reports for all students twice a year
- Alerting senior staff to any problems there may be, informally through discussion, and formally through an online reporting system.
We provide ongoing support and advice to help you meet all of these requirements.
Pay and benefits
- Salary: 1,650-2,118 PLN per month depending on qualifications, experience and years at IH (as detailed in the contract).
- Basic salary paid regardless of hours worked.
- Overtime paid if necessary.
- Travel time is paid, and wherever possible you will be driven to offsite classes.
- Other increments may be added, depending on your timetable.
- Rent on shared accommodation in a flat with another teacher within 25 minutes walking distance of the school, including utilities (not phone/internet), all paid by school.
- We reimburse flights from London to Bydgoszcz, and provide return transport, Bydgoszcz - London on completion of the contract, or will refund the equivalent value for other travel methods or routes.
- Plus all of the professional development!
- All EU citizens are eligible for national healthcare under the Polish health system. However, the school may also cover the cost of private healthcare arrangements at its own discretion.
- Teachers MUST bring a valid European Health Card with them.
- The cost of medication and dental care are not covered.
- You are paid when you are sick as long as you have a valid doctor's certificate.
Dates will be confirmed on your contract. At the moment, in 2018-2019 you can expect:
- 4 days of holiday in November
- Nearly 2 weeks at Christmas/New Year
- 2 weeks in January (though we ask one or two staff members to work during that holiday)
- 1 day in March
- 6 days for Easter
- 5 days in May.
Approximately two weeks pro-rata holiday pay is paid at the end of the contract, or four weeks if you have worked in January. Pro-rata is calculated on a ten-month basis: 1 Sept. to 30 June.
About the school and the City:
Bydgoszcz is in the north of Poland, with excellent transport links to the rest of Europe, including an international airport with direct flights to London Stansted, London Luton, Birmingham and Frankfurt, making it a good base to explore from. It is also within easy reach of airports in Gdansk, Poznan and Warsaw by bus and train.
The city has about 360,000 people, with nightlife, cinemas and more shopping malls than any town this size really needs. It is well-known for its beautiful parks, including one next door to the school and another to the north of the city, which is the largest city park in Poland. It is especially attractive in the spring.
Few people dream of Poland as the place they want to end up once they've qualified as an EFL teacher. Fewer still have heard of our city, and even fewer can pronounce it (here's some help!), but everyone who lives here comes to appreciate how liveable it is as a city, and how great it is as a base for exploration of the rest of Poland and Europe.
Our school is a demanding place to work, but it is also incredibly rewarding, and we hope it will stand you in good stead for the rest of your teaching career. If you think you meet all of our requirements, why not give us a try? You won't regret it!
Take a look at the school page here.