- Start Date: 1/10/2019
- Duration or End Date: 30/06/2020
Salary: Basic monthly salary (gross) for 20 contact hours: €1,376; Approximately €100 monthly lunch allowance; Increments for previous teaching experience at an IH school, PGCE, IHCYLT, CAM, DELTA; Bonus: on successful completion of contract
Essential role requirements
The role is open only to those with the right to work in the EU.
- You must have a CELTA, Trinity TESOL, or equivalent initial teaching qualification
We are looking for an enthusiastic and committed teacher for the coming academic year to join our friendly and highly motivated team. This post involves teaching classes of a variety of ages and levels from Tuesday to Saturday. Most weekday classes take place in the late afternoon and evening, although there are also a few in the morning or early afternoon. Saturday classes are between 09.00 and 13.00.
The ideal candidate will have:
• the ability to inspire, manage and motivate students;
• the ability to work well in a team and show initiative;
• a proactive and positive attitude to teaching, students and colleagues;
• the ability to communicate effectively and efficiently;
• an understanding of clients’ needs and expectations;
• good administrative skills (keeping records, writing reports);
• at least one years’ teaching experience;
• experience of and enjoyment in working with young learners and teenagers, or a positive desire to start teaching this age range;
• experience in teaching Cambridge PET and First exam classes.
- Flights: A reasonably priced return flight on production of receipts.
- Accommodation: We will help you find suitable accommodation. A one bedroom flat in the city is likely to be in the region of €350 per calendar month.
- Holiday: Two weeks at Christmas, two weeks at Easter, two days (minimum) at Carnaval, and all local and national public holidays.
About the school and City
IH Torres Vedras was founded in 1990 and currently has 520+ students. Approximately 70% of the student population is aged between 9 and 18. We currently have five full-time teachers, three part-time teachers, an Assistant Director of Studies and a Director of Studies, as well as Director, Assistant Manager and admin staff. There are two premises, both of which are a few minutes’ walk from the city centre. Most teaching takes place in IH One – a modern ground floor purpose-built school with eight classrooms; IH Two is also used as an exams centre. We enjoy an excellent reputation locally, and many of our students are second generations of the same families who have studied here.
As well as a competitive salary package and the security of working at an IH school, one of the key attractions for teachers working with IH Torres Vedras is the opportunity for professional development. We aim to ensure our teachers are increasingly confident, knowledgeable and competent in the areas of Young Learners and Teenagers, Cambridge exams, English for Specific Purposes, 1:1 teaching, as well as general English courses for adults. Our Continual Professional Development (CPD) programme consists of regular in-house seminars, given by our Director of Studies or Assistant Director of Studies. Teachers are observed regularly and there is the opportunity for teachers to observe more experienced teachers and team-teach. Every January, there is an IH Portugal Training Day held in Coimbra, which is a chance for teachers from the various IH Portugal schools to meet up and attend sessions given by DOSEs, ADOSes and teachers. We encourage teachers to prepare for higher qualifications, such as the IH Certificate in Teaching Young Learners and Teenagers (IHCYLT), the IH Certificate in Advanced Methodology (CAM) or the Cambridge DELTA. International House has a wide range of online seminars and also runs online courses which are available to IH teachers at a discounted rate and online conferences and webinars, which are free and exclusive to IH teachers.
Torres Vedras is small but lively city within easy distance of Lisbon and the seaside town of Santa Cruz. It has numerous good-quality and reasonably-priced restaurants and is currently European City of Wine 2018/19 – being surrounded by undulating hills of vineyards. Its massive Carnaval celebrations are fêted as ‘the most Portuguese of Portuguese carnivals’. It is steeped in history, being one of the focal points during the Napoleonic wars in the Iberian Peninsular
Take a look at the school page here.