- Start Date: 27/09/2019
- Duration or End Date: 5/06/2020
Salary: 1250 Euros (net) per month with increments available for experience within IH or Delta.
Essential role requirements
The role is open only to those with the right to work in the EU.
- You must have a CELTA, Trinity TESOL, or equivalent initial teaching qualification
- Full mastery of English across all 4 skills to CEFR C2/IELTS band 8.5 required.
You will be teaching up to 22 hrs of English each week + 3 further hours of standby, meetings and/or teacher development. You will be teaching children (aged 7-12), teens (aged 13-16) and adult classes using a variety of course books, complemented by the school’s excellent resource library.
The school prides itself on its high quality student care service of which teachers are a vital part. Part of your teaching role will include monitoring and assessing student progress, conducting tutorials and parent meetings and working closely with the DoSes to provide the best support for all our students.
• 60,75 or 80-minute lessons, including a range of adult, teen, YL and 1-2-1 classes.
• Most teaching takes place in school from 13:30 to 21:00, Monday to Friday.
• The majority of groups meet twice a week, following 4 or 8 month long courses.
• When necessary, teachers will commute to partner schools in the city.
• Established INSETT programme including fortnightly development seminars and IH South of Italy Training Day
• Free access to International House Certificate in Teaching Young Learners and Teenagers, according to demand.
• IH Development Courses (OTTI) sponsored by the school.
• Sponsored DELTA for committed, long-term teachers
• Italian lessons available within the school's Italian department.
• Career opportunities within the school (Speaking Examiners for Cambridge English, social programme projects, Senior Teacher positions)
• Salary is paid regardless of hours worked.
• All EU citizens are eligible for national healthcare under the Italian health system, as well as a pension scheme.
Preference given to teachers with:
- Experience of teaching both adults and younger learners.
- University degree or higher qualification.
- Young Learner certificate
- Flights: Up to 120 Euro contribution towards flights.
- Accommodation: Settling in allowance and Accommodation Officer assistance available.
- Holiday: Roughly 20 days paid leave holiday including Christmas, Easter and February break
About the school and City
Palermo is a great place to live and work. The school, opened in 1975, is recognised for its professionalism, dedication to teaching English and continual development. With a team of 12 teachers, it's a very easy place to fit in and feel comfortable!
We are located in the north west of Sicily, a large Italian Island with our own international airport (40Km away). This offers regular connections to mainland Europe and the UK.
Palermo is a vibrant city famous for its architecture, history and amazing street food. It’s a great base from which to explore Sicily and its stunning coastline, with many of our teachers enjoying trips to nearby Cefalu, Erice and Agrigento.
Take a look at the school page here.