- Start Date: 1/06/2019
- Duration or End Date: 1 year to permanent
Salary: To be discussed during the interview
Essential role requirements
The role is open only to those with the right to work in the EU.
You must have a driving licence
- You must have a degree (e.g. BA, BSc)
- You must have a CELTA, Trinity TESOL, or equivalent initial teaching qualification
International House Team LIngue Merate | Como | Lecco is seeking enthusiastic, professional, reliable English teachers who want to work in a friendly atmosphere, in a growing school, and teach communicatively in the provinces of Como, Lecco or Monza.
International House Team Lingue Merate and Como is recruiting full-time English teachers, possibly with Jolly Phonics .
We can only hire EU residents (British citizens included), so unless you have a valid working VISA please don't apply.
Range of classes:
We teach a range of courses for children (from 3 years of age on), teenagers and adults at all levels.
Our courses take place on our own school premises and off-site in state schools and companies.
A driving license is a requirement.
Familiarity with CEFR levels and Cambridge English exams is essential, experience as a Cambridge speaking examiner would be an advantage for English language teachers.
In Como we give priority to Jolly Phonics trained teachers.
A qualified/qualifying teacher trainer would have an advantage over other candidates.
Full-time teaching positions at IH Team Lingue Merate and Como involve:
- 40 hours a week, with an average of 25 teaching hours in class over 52 weeks a year.
- lessons between the hours of 8am 10pm Monday to Friday, and Saturday morning or afternoon.
Teachers are generally assigned 9 hour slots of work, which are occupied by approx. 5 or 6 hours in class and the rest is planning, travelling or administrative work, plus breaks. There may be need for some flexibility, as the workload changes depending on te time of year
- course administration e.g. report writing and completing registers; attending teachers meetings which include training / development sessions.
- teaching on and off site (involving driving for approx. 20' - 30')
-non-teaching activities, such as taking care of the course book library, attending school events, correcting writing assignments.
Teachers at IH Team Lingue Merate and Como will benefit from:
- constant support from experienced academic staff (DoS, ADoS, Senior Teachers, Course Coordinators and managers).
- in-house training e.g. workshops and swap-shops
- observations and appraisals
- a supportive and cooperative atmosphere working with a team of enthusiastic and professional teachers and staff
- help finding accommodation and dealing with Italian bureaucracy, if necessary.
We are looking mainly for Young and Very Young learner teachers who are passionate, energetic and with a strong classroom presence and classroom management skills to teach ENGLISH and soft CLIL to large groups of children in state schools in and around our centers.
As satetd above, a driving license is a requirement, along with a good attitude towards a variable and flexible timetable. Your own car is a plus.
Our schools also offer in-school after-dinner blended courses for adults; exam preparation for teenagers in state schools; company courses to smaller groups or individuals.
Language teachers as a second language need to have a CELTA or EQUIVALENT (120hrs input + min. 6 hours of observed practoce . Teaching certifications of languages other than English need to be approved by International House World Organisation).
A full-time permanent teacher earns a net monthly salary of approx. 1100 euros + an extra 70% of the yearly salary, spread monthly.
We offer training; contracts can be permanent of temporary.
- Accommodation: We will help you find accommodation.
About the school and City
We have 3 locations:
Como, the famous town by the wonderful lake. Our school has opened just 2 years ago, and is small, warm and welcoming, with a small but dedicated staff.
Lecco, the other town by lake Como! A small, new school surrounded by wonderful mountains. Small, friendly staff and lovely locations to go visit.
Merate, the headquarters. Our school has been here for over 35 years, and with new management is growing and changing fast. We need passionate, enthusiastic teachers to implement our permanent staff.
Take a look at the school page here.