- Start Date: 23/09/2019
- Duration or End Date: 12 June 2020 (with the possibility of continuing for the 2020/21 academic year)
Salary: €1260 gross (around €1000 net) + a bonus from the government which is about 80€
Essential role requirements
The role is open only to those with the right to work in the EU.
- You must have a CELTA, Trinity TESOL, or equivalent initial teaching qualification
Join our friendly, lively and dynamic teaching team at Giga IH Catania- 22 years of the highest quality teaching!
Giga International House, a well established private Language School and Cambridge Examination Centre in Catania, Italy, is offering 2 full-time positions teaching Young Learners, Teens and Adults.
We are looking for 2 qualified, enthusiastic and well organised teachers who are willing to join our team and stay with us for at least one academic year. Most of the teachers decide to stay with us for a few years and this is because we care about their wellbeing at school by providing clarity of information from the very beginning and appropriate training.
Our teachers are expected to plan and deliver quality group/or individual lessons according to students’ needs and course programmes. Classes are maximum 10 students (onsite) and if you are asked to teach offsite, groups are usually bigger. Ninety percent of our courses are Cambridge or other exam preparation classes - YLE, Key, Preliminary, IELTS etc. which means that experience in preparing students for exams is always helpful, but candidates with no or very little experience are also welcome to apply for this position as they will be provided with appropriate training.
Our teachers’ professional development is very important for us and this means that:
• you will be invited to attend regular, teacher training sessions delivered by the Director of Studies and other teachers
• you will be invited to complete some online training
• you may be sent to various conferences
• you may be given the opportunity to deliver sessions at said conferences
• since we are a Cambridge exams centre, there are plenty of opportunities for any teaching staff meeting Cambridge requirements to be trained up as a Speaking Examiner
• also, the DOS and teachers are very supportive and everyone in our team likes sharing ideas during professional development sessions.
You may be asked to do some teaching at state primary and secondary schools in and outside Catania so having a driving license is essential. However, if your skills and attributes exceed, then we will consider your application. Use of public transport may also be required.
The regular amount of teaching is 23 contracted hours per week plus 2 hours of meetings. If there is no developmental/organizational meeting in a given week, these two hours may be turned into teaching hours. This does not include lesson planning and preparation which is to be done in your own time.
Twice a year, you will need to attend parent meetings and you may be asked participate or help with the organisation of a few school events.
• Bonuses - we are using a Pay Rise Scale system.
• Oral Examiners - possibility to be trained up as oral examiners (paid extra).
• Bureaucracy - help will be given to new teachers to help set up bank account, residency, medical care.
- Flights: Flights are reimbursed up to 200 Euros.
- Accommodation: The school will help in finding accommodation. The school can also offer 1 room for free for the first two weeks which will be assigned on a first come first served basis.
- Holiday: All Italian holidays plus 12 -15 days which are taken from the contractual allowance and attached to national holidays e.g. Christmas. Teachers will also be entitled to a few extra days off during the academic year (the number of these days changes every year and it is usually between 3-5 days).
About the school and City
We are a small and friendly language school in the centre of Catania which is a beautiful Baroque city located at the foot of Mount Etna and facing the Ionian sea. We are the headquarters of AISLi – the Italian Association of Language Schools, a Cambridge Exams Centre and also a CELTA Training Centre. We have both a School Director who deals with financial concerns and the Dos who oversees academic issues.
Catania is a popular holiday destination and it is ideal for those who love a hot climate, water sports and hiking. The school is in a very busy part of the town and everything is no more than a 30 minute walk.
Visit our facebook profile: Giga International House Catania & website to find out more about the school http://www.gigact.com/
Take a look at the school page here.