- Start Date: ASAP
- Duration or End Date: Permanent
Salary:To be discussed at interview
Essential role requirements
- You must have a CELTA, Trinity TESOL, or equivalent initial teaching qualification
Job Title: Director of Studies (DOS) – English Department
Reports to: School Director
- School Director
- Client co-ordination team.
- All English teachers.
- Sales and Marketing Team
- Administration. External:
- Clients (companies and individual students)
- Other DOS’s (Mexico & Abroad)
Description of Position:
The DOS is a senior figure in the organization. It is an important figure head when representing IH Mexico and its activities. The DOS is responsible for the day-to-day management of all English teachers and for ensuring that the teaching department runs effectively at all times.
- Student Supervision for enrolment and retention: The DOS has to make sure all the client journey from registration to completing the course is excellent. The DOS is responsible for student retention.
- Teacher recruitment: the DOS is responsible for sourcing, identifying, interviewing and hiring all teaching staff, either full-time or part-time.
- Induction: The DOS is responsible for ensuring all new teachers are given a full and thorough induction, including training on systems, procedures and expectations.
- Scheduling: The DOS is responsible for the class scheduling process, this carried out in close cooperation with the client coordinators. The DOS is also responsible for assisting in the on-boarding of new clients.
- Management: the DOS is responsible for managing directly the English teaching team. This includes all aspects of management such as performance management, schedule management, man management and all other tasks related to ensuring teachers are able to work effectively.
- Teacher Development: The DOS is responsible for identifying room for teacher development and charting this on a group and individual basis. The DOS will be required to train, mentor and develop staff through one-to-one and group teaching, as well as performing observations..
- Internal Representation: The DOS is the representative of all teachers, and must be able to form excellent relationships with teachers, directors, department managers and other key stakeholders in the organization.
- External Representation: As a key member of IH Mexico’s management team, the DOS must ensure they present a professional and effective image in front of clients. IH Mexico is widely considered a brand of excellence in Mexico and the DOS is integral to ensure this image is carried forward and improved.
Knowledge and Experience:
- The applicant must have Delta or be close to achieving a Delta qualification.
- Experience of management and leadership would be desirable.
- Problem solving skills are essential, and the applicant must be able to demonstrate an ability to be organized and also to be able to multi-task and cope with pressure.
- Excellent PR skills with students and clients
- The DOS will be occasionally required to attend meetings outside of normal office hours.
- The DOS will be required to travel once a year to the IHWO DOS conference in London, this held in January.
If you are interested in this position, please contact Ariel Lopez (firstname.lastname@example.org)
IH Mexico is an equal opportunities employer.
- Visa: If a candidate requires visa to work in Mexico, this will be arranged
- Holiday: Paid holiday at Easter (one week) and at Christmas (three weeks) plus Mexican official holidays.
About the school and City
IH Mexico City Condesa is located in the heart of one of Mexico City's most vibrant districts.
Mexico City is full of culure and history. Its historic center, better known as Zocalo, has been declared a World Heritage by UNESCO and is the heart of a living culture that exudes everything accumulated since the founding of Tenochtitlan, the original Mexico City.
The city has many beautiful neighborhoods, with a range of architecture from art nouveau and art deco to colonial and modern as well as host of cuisine from Mexico's different states.
As the city with the most museums in the world, there is always something new to discover.
Take a look at the school page here.