Do you want to speak at IH Kyiv's annual gathering of like-minded ELT colleagues? Apply now.Read More
IH School Collaboration: Movie Club
School groups meet virtually
2-10 October 2021
Projects to give your students the opportunity to get together with their peers in different IH schools.
- Benefits for IH schools - Prestige to offer international opportunities to your students,
- Benefits for IH students - An opportunity to interact with people from other countries (which they may never travel to) in a meaningful way, using language in a truly authentic setting.
IHWO will facilitate different schools bringing their students together, but the specific logistics will be managed by the schools participating. For queries please mail email@example.com
Weekly movie review.
- One hour on zoom
- Learners of English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Arabic, Russian (We'll match up learners of the same language)
- Young adults (over 18)
- Students with at least B2
Usually events are exclusively for IH students. However, if schools collaborating agree, specific events can be offered as a marketing taster session for agents and external students to showcase the experience that a student could expect to find in an IH school. If you are willing to do this, please indicate in the sign-up form.
Details of the "Movie Club"
We start the club by looking at a couple of examples of reviews of movies/series and looking at the format. These could be done by the teacher or by someone online, whichever works best. Then we’d examine the typical expressions and vocabulary used to make these reviews.
Every week, the format would be as follows:
- We look at movie/tv news, eg who’s doing what, what’s coming out etc
- Students give their prepared reviews of a movie/series and then we talk about them – perhaps 2-3 movies
- We decide which movies/series we will focus on the following week and students volunteer to prepare what they’re going to say about each one. The teacher will prepare these anyway and will get the ball rolling (she will have a Plan B review ready in case students haven’t prepared anything!). Each student will then give it a mark out of 5.
When will this run?
- It's up to each set of schools to decide the best evenings to run this event (you can indicate below)
- This round of school groupings should take place between October 2021 and December 2021
- (Schools may want to continue after this, or sign up to be paired with new schools. A follow on round of pairings will be offered in September)
What are the benefits for Students?
- Excellent speaking and listening practice – students practise speaking about something themselves and then discussing ideas with others.
- It’s a great way to exchange culture as movies/series from different countries can also be discussed.
How many schools (ideally) will collaborate?
- Ideally, we will match up project groups of four of five schools.
- We'll try to make sure you are in near-ish time zones.
What is the commitment needed from each school taking part?
- Each participating school should lead 4 sessions over the period Oct-Dec
- A teacher must plan and deliver the session.
Schools need to be responsible for making sure that they have the appropriate safeguarding measures, if adults and u18s are mixing.
Existing experience running these events?
This is an idea from IH Galway