Join our IH Study Abroad Online Workshops to talk about plans for the future! The events will take place on the 8th and 9th February 2023.Read More
IH School Collaboration: English Social & Conversation Club
School groups meet virtually
2-10 October 2021
Projects to give your students the opportunity to get together with their peers in different IH schools.
- Benefits for IH schools - Prestige to offer international opportunities to your students,
- Benefits for IH students - An opportunity to interact with people from other countries (which they may never travel to) in a meaningful way, using language in a truly authentic setting.
IHWO will facilitate different schools bringing their students together, but the specific logistics will be managed by the schools participating. For queries please mail email@example.com
Social & Conversation Club (for English)
Conversation club for students to discuss varied current topics for an hour, with peers in different countries.
- Social activities too - music, exercise, etc
- We suggest this happens around. 6-7 pm local time (we'll match schools in suitable time zones), although it will be up to the schools to decide the times themselves.
- Learners of English
- Young adults (over 18)
- Students with at least A2 level are welcome
Usually events are exclusively for IH students. However, if schools collaborating agree, specific events can be offered as a marketing taster session for agents and external students to showcase the experience that a student could expect to find in an IH school. If you are willing to do this, please indicate in the sign-up form.
Details of the "Social & Conversation Club "
- Teachers are given freedom to suggest the topics they want to lead. Desert Islands; where will we travel when we can?; team problem solving etc.
- Teacher welcomes everyone and introduces a topic via a shared photo / slide ( eg. A desert island and elicits where this is.)
- Teacher elicits discussions (e.g. What things would be useful to have on a desert island? Students could be asked to get an item from their own house that they would like to have with them on a desert island.
- Lesson continues like this giving plenty of opportunity for break out room discussion.
- Other sessions could be more social (keep fit etc)
- Each session is capped at 30 students, but additional teachers / teaching assistants / social activities staff can also be involved to maintain a 1 teacher to 30 students ratio
When will this run?
- It's up to each set of schools to decide the best evenings to run this event (you can indicate below)
- This round of school groupings should take place between October 2021 and December 2021
- (Schools may want to continue after this, or sign up to be paired with new schools. A follow on round of pairings will be offered in September)
What are the benefits for Students?
- Promote spoken fluency in social context
- Facilitate social interaction in a multi-lingual and multi-national environment
- Deepens the students’ cultural understanding
- Provide fun and entertainment
How many schools (ideally) will collaborate?
- Ideally, we will match up project groups of at least four of five schools.
- We'll try to make sure you are in near-ish time zones.
What is the commitment needed from each school taking part?
- Each school should lead 4 sessions over the period Oct-Dec
- A teacher from the school must plan and deliver the session.
- Somebody in the school needs to be responsible for agreeing the schedule with their matched schools, and communicating this to their own students and giving them the access details.
Schools need to be responsible for making sure no under 18s sign up to these events
Existing experience running these events?
The idea originated from IH Palermo who used to run a weekly “Aperitivo” in a local bar, where students and teachers were invited to come along, and have a drink and chat, in English, to celebrate the end of the week. IH Palermo adapted the activity to the above format in the wake of Covid and school closures due to lockdown.
IH Manchester, Galway, Belfast, Bristol, Portsmouth and London joined together to run one online “Aperitivo” and one additional online social event per week, every week since the start of this crisis. They have been well attended and the “feel-good factor” that they have generated has always been much appreciated by those students taking part.
IH Sofia has also collaborated in a similar way with other IH schools in central Europe.