Join our IH Study Abroad Online Workshops to talk about plans for the future! The events will take place on the 8th and 9th February 2023.Read More
IH AMT Conference 2023
12-14 January 2023
09:00 to 17:30
We’re pleased to invite you to the annual IHWO Academic Management & Trainers Conference, London in 2023. In this year International House celebrates its 70th Anniversary. Founded in 1953 by John and Brita Haycraft it introduced an innovative approach to language teaching, and this desire to innovate has continued over the years with developments in academic management and teacher training. Celebrations will take place during this conference and throughout the year.
We are looking forward to seeing you all at the conference this year. All International House DOSes and teacher trainers welcome! Participants will be from all over the world and there will be a mixture of plenaries and workshops with both managerial content and practical classroom ideas.
As always we are looking forward to sharing the wealth of expertise in the IH network. This will be an opportunity to share old and new ideas, to explore principles and procedures of teaching and to collaborate with the wonderful IH community.
Registration is now closed. If you have any questions please contact Marta via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Venue and getting there
The event will be held at 10 Union Street, SE1 1SZ. Here is a picture of Marta ready to welcome you!
- If you arrive at London Bridge station (or Tube station), walk south west on Borough High Street (away from the river) about 300 mtrs, then turn right into Union Street and the venue is about 20 yards on your right.
- If you arrive at Borough Tube station, walk north east on Borough High Street (towards the river) about 300 mtrs, then turn left into Union Street and the venue is about 20 yards on your right.
Click on the map for more detail.
The overview of the timetable is here, see the full detail and session abstracts in the brochure here.
Thursday 12th January
9.00 - 9.30: Registration
9:30 - 12.30 Workshop
Starpower: A Simulation Game about Power, Leadership and Diversity led by Lindsay Clanfield
12.30 - 13.45 Lunch break and meet the sponsors
13.45 - 14.30 Conference opening & IHWO update
Emma Hoyle & Shaun Wilden followed by:
Katja Preston, IHWO
14.30 IH World Foundation and Environmental Sustainability
Beccy Wigglesworth, IHWO
15.05 Opening Plenary – Global Trends in Education
Sarah Ultsch, Product Strategy Director, OUP
16.00 Coffee break and meet the sponsors
16.30 What’s New at Trinity?
Alison Castle Kane, Head of Business Development, UK & Ireland – Language, Trinity College London
16.45 The IH World EDI Initiative
Emma Hoyle, Hannah Youell & Giovanni Licata, IHWO
17.30 70 Ideas for 70 Years
19.00: Welcome Drinks Reception
Friday 13th January
9.00 – 17.00 Full Day of Conference Sessions
- Old Tricks From a New Dog - Daniel Coleman - IH Buenos Aires Belgrano
- HTW: Hairless Twig with Wrinkles (and other labels we are forced to carry) - Giovanni Licata- IH Roma Manzoni
- Harnessing Hormones - The role of women's health in our schools - Jennifer Holden
- Getting off on the Right Foot - Caroline Fonseca - IH Torres Vedras and Lisbon
- Turning Mirrors into Windows - a practical exploration of metacognition - Diana England - IH Torres Vedras and Lisbon
- Not Just Talking: Exploring Critical Incidents in Class- Richard M Chinn- IH London
- LanguageCert for Academic Purposes - Doug Agyemang, Business Development Manager UK and NE, LanguageCert
Putting out Fun Fires and Raining on Parades - Danny Norrington-Davies - IH London
Whoo-oo-oo do You Think You Are? - Chloé Pakeman-Schiavone, Jenny Holden & Giovanni Licata
- It Takes Two to Tango - Milena Montalbano & Marco Marzoli - IH Merate & Como
- How do you feel today? - Jennifer Hillhouse - IH Bucharest
- Virtual Reality for Language Learners – Past, Present and Future - Teodora Manole - IH Bucharest
Student-Focused Practice for Newer Teachers - Marie Pepper - IH Manchester
Take Their Brains to Another Dimension - Marie Willoughby - IH London
- Why I Love Observations... I Mean Class Visits - Estelle Hélouin, IHWO
Saturday 14th January
- Modern Language Meetup
- The Inspection Scheme Q&A
10.00 – 17.00 Full Day of Conference Sessions
- Learning from a future that has not yet happened - Adrian Underhill
- Why your questions should be sh*te - Lucie Cotterill
- What Macmillan Can Do for YOU! - Jo Krousso, UK & Ireland ELT Sales Consultant, Macmillan Education
- Building our understanding of ‘good teachers’: What school leaders and teacher educators can learn from teacher expertise research - Dr Jason Anderson
- Creative tools for PPP: Planning, Positivity and Potential - Emily Bryson
- Scaffolding Meaningful Uptake and Output for Learners Through Accessible, Inclusive News-based Content - Adam Scott, ELT Specialist, Sensations English
19.30: Fun Social Event with Drinks and Dinner on the Golden Hinde.
Comments from past participants
'The AMT conference is the highlight of my ELT calendar'.
'It feels like a real think-tank after a normally hard year of struggling with every-day obstacles.
Highly motivating to implement new projects/ideas/improvements for the upcoming year.
Great people and really good networking'.
'It was great to listen to so many experienced and creative speakers and learn from them. It
was my first conference and I found it very useful, especially the 'practical' sessions. I was
surprised by the variety of topics developed at the conference and enjoyed talking to the
other IH managers about their work, problems and solutions'.
'It's a fantastic conference. Very well organised, excellent speakers and lots of good ideas to
bring back to school. Also the best opportunity to meet and share ideas with 'colleagues'
across the network'.
If you would like to sponsor this event, please contact Emma Hoyle via email: email@example.com
Thank you to our Partners
Thank you to our Sponsors